Friday, August 23, 2013

Top 10 ways to procrastinate and have something to show for it.


If you're like me, you get done procrastinating and sit down to do whatever task it is that you've been putting off. Then wish that you had more reasons to put said activity on the backburner. I do this most often with school work. Being an online student is one of the hardest things I have ever done. It takes a crazy amount of self-discipline, which I simply don't have a lot of the time. Don't get me wrong, I get stuff done. I pass my classes and usually go above and beyond what the assignment requires. BUT I get most of my work done in the day or hours right before it is due. That's just how I work. 

The terrible, horrible thing about procrastinating is that you usually have nothing to show for it. If you sit in front of a TV screen watching 3 seasons of Grey's Anatomy, you'll only end up with feeling lazy and having mascara running down your face (because let's face it, Grey's can get to a girl!). If your afternoon that was set aside for paper writing turns into an afternoon dedicated to a Pinterest board with 300 new pins of houses you'll never have, you will be no closer to having that awesome sliding barn door in your kitchen (yeah, I've pinned it) than you are to turning in your research paper. I'm saying this because I have been that girl. And I love Pinterest and Netflix and doing nothing. But I also know there are much better ways to procrastinate. Ways that still sometimes include pinning, but also give you something to show for it. Ways that will make people forget that you put off homework because they're amazed at what you did instead. Read on.

Top 10 ways to procrastinate and have something to show for it.

1. Blog. Post about your day, your dog or your favorite recipe. Do a 'how-to' post... like how-to make simple burger buns. I'm really trying to figure that one out. If you don't have a blog, see #2.

2. Start a blog. It is a great way to procrastinate school work, home work, house work, etc. See current post.

3. Once you have a blog, redesign it. Some of my biggest school assignments have led me to my favorite blog designs. No joke. If you don't know how to redesign a blog, you're in for a procrastinating treat. LOOK IT UP. It will take you for-freaking-ever to figure it out and get things looking good. But once you're done, you've learned something new and you have a shiny new design to show for it.

4. Bake. Everyone loves baked goods. If you're dieting, give them away. It is a good way to meet or re-meet your neighbors. Take them to your favorite barista. Give them to your babysitter. Or your brother. Or both. But seriously, bake. If you don't know what to bake, see #5.

5. Go on Pinterest. DO NOT STOP READING... decide on a baking, crafting, cooking, decoring or gardening project, search it out, and do it! Then when anyone questions you about whatever you were putting off, you can respond with, "Oh, I didn't get to that yet because I did this (bust out a plate of cookie butter rice krispies, point to new flowerbed, show off newly painted bedroom, etc.)!!"

6. Clean. If you're trying to put off cleaning, skip this number. I have a sickness. I like to clean. Sweeping, mopping, dishes... don't even get me started on organizing. It's a serious problem, but if you want to hire me, I'm good at it. Anyway, I write my BEST papers after I completely empty out my closet and start from scratch. It is relaxing and such a great feeling to see all my clothes (after I've weeded through things I don't wear or that are too worn out), shoes and scarves neatly put away and color coordinated. Or organized by style, type, etc. Okay, I'll stop before people think I'm crazy. Sometimes cleaning is a good way to procrastinate. 

7. Organize your iTunes (or other music player) account. Make sure you don't have duplicate songs and that all your albums have artwork. Everyone knows that no amount of studying can happen until your music is seriously in order. (Again, I have a problem).

8. Research something that you don't actually HAVE to research. Do it for fun. And so that you can show off your new knowledge of the different ways to brew coffee at your next get together. "Why is french press coffee so much better than regular drip coffee?" your friends might ask. You will know.

9. Read. If you're procrastinating reading, stop it. No one questions why you are reading instead of doing whatever work you should be doing. And reading is good for you. (It should go without saying that magazines don't count.)

10. Make a list. I'm not talking about a grocery list or a honey-do list. Make a list of things you want to do or accomplish, and be serious about it. Set a time frame (this year, the next 5 years, before I turn whatever age, before we have kids, etc.) and think of real things you want to accomplish. Write them down however is best for you. (I painted mine on a canvas a couple years ago.) Then do ONE of those things. That way you have a good little start to get you motivated. Yes, I mentioned motivation in a post about procrastination. I'm sorry. Some examples I have on my upcoming list: go to Disneyland, plant a vegetable garden and read X number of books. I haven't set a number yet because I haven't set a time frame. But I will. Tomorrow. ;)

4 comments:

  1. My Labor Day tradition has been to empty and reorganize the garage -- for years! I say, " 'Labor Day' is for LABOR not LAZY!" I love organizing garages, Meagan! (And I have done it for friends, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a garage, I would LOVE doing that. I would actually look forward to Labor Day for that reason. It's sick.

      Delete
  2. I love all of these! I think I'm going to make the canvas soon. I mean the empty wall in my room/living room could use some love :)It would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete